St Saceredos Cathedral, Sarlat,

Sarlat Cathedral (Cathédrale Saint-Sacerdos de Sarlat) is a Roman Catholic church and former cathedral, and national monument of France, situated in Sarlat-la-Canéda, Dordogne, Aquitaine.

The Diocese of Sarlat was created in 1317 with a number of others in the region in the aftermath of the suppression of the Albigensians. The new bishop of Sarlat was the abbot of the ancient Sarlat Abbey, the church of which became the cathedral. Rebuilding was not completed until the 1680s. (The belfry dates from the 9th century). The diocese was abolished under the Concordat of 1801 and its territory was transferred to the Diocese of Périgueux.

Although reusing some parts of the Romanesque abbey old, the overall style of the cathedral is Gothic inspiration Nordic (presence of two collateral vessels).The Romanesque bell tower from the 12th century is the oldest part of the building, he succeeded a Carolingian building and underwent changes: the top floor 17th century and 18th century belfry bulbous. The swallow’s nest organ is the work of Jean-François The Thorn. Photos by Daniel 6 July 2016.

 

IMG_1743IMG_1747IMG_1746

 

 

IMG_1740IMG_1738IMG_1736IMG_1748IMG_1742IMG_1745

England’s oldest windmill

 

Pitstone Windmill is a Grade II* listed windmill in England which is thought to date from the early 17th century.

Latitude: 51° 49′ 54.12″ N
Longitude: 0° 37′ 47.64″ E

Although the exact date of when Pitstone Windmill was built is unknown, it is acknowledged to be one of the oldest post mills in Britain. The date 1697 is thought to relate to a time when was refurbished. Whether or not the assertion that the mill is older than 1627 is true this date still makes the Pitstone Windmill several years older than the similar ‘post mill’ at Bourn in Cambridgeshire.
 Pitstone Windmill was used from its earliest days to mill grain, grown in the nearby villages, into flour. Village mills like this one were once an essential service within a community so it is no surprise that the mill has a history of providing a lucrative income for its owners and tenants.
Although the industrial revolution began to undermine the importance of a local mill through the advent of mass production, investment in the Pitstone Windmill continued.
During the 19th century much of the machinery was replaced by the Canal Company, who owned the mill until 1842, or by Francis Beesley, who sold it for £400 in 1874 to the third Earl Brownlow, owner of the nearby Ashridge Estate.
Lord Brownlow subsequently let it to a local farmer, Hawkins of  Piston Green Farm who ran a successful business from it and oversaw further repairs in 1895.
In 1902 a fierce gale caused extensive damage. The sails were not turned in time and blew forward, causing the tail bearing to fly through the roof and the sails to crash into the round house walls.
This event put the Pitstone Windmill beyond economic repair and it was left to decay. A combination of the elements and opportunists caused the loss of many of its constituent parts.
In 1924 the Ashridge Estate was broken up and the mill was sold off. Pitstone Windmill was bought by its tenants, the Hawkins family.
The Hawkins were unable to save the windmill themselves and in 1937 they donated it, and access to it, to the National Trust.

 

IMG_1649 IMG_1648 IMG_1647 IMG_1646 IMG_1645IMG_1637IMG_1632IMG_1653IMG_1654

IMG_1631

St Peter, Berkhamsted

IMG_1572 IMG_1573 IMG_1576 IMG_1574 IMG_1577 IMG_1580 IMG_1584 IMG_1582

St Peter’s was originally built at the beginning of the 13th century, possibly on the site of an even earlier church, but was restored in 1820 and again in 1870 which is when most of the external stonework dates from. Today, it is the oldest surviving building in Berkhamsted and, architecturally, the most important.

wide shot of the nave

It is in the Early English style, with clustered columns typical of the period. The church has a cruciform framework with a crossing tower. Original 13th Century windows survive in the old chancel and north aisle but most of the windows are of 14th century date.

The tower has a ring of eight bells re-cast in the Whitechapel Foundry at various dates between 1838 and 1946. The Church clock by Thwaites & Read of Clerkenwell dates from 1838. The principal organ is by Peter Collins and was introduced during the reordering of the church in the 1980s. The church also houses a small Bryceson pipe organ and has recently acquired a Kawai 7′ concert grand piano. There is seating for around 450 in the congregation.

Light of the World stained-glass windowThroughout the church there is a good selection of Victorian stained glass and brasses from as early as the 14th century. There is also a medieval coffin top tomb (c.1200) with floriated cross in St Catherine’s Chapel near the south door. The font by the west door is made of marble and introduced in to the church in 1870 whilst the pulpit’s carved angels date from 1910. The Lady Chapel on the north side of the church is a lovely vaulted space and was probably part of the original 13th century building.

The church on the High Street in 1910The churchyard, closed in the nineteenth century, is an attractive area of lawn, on the north side of the church, with several mature trees (cedar, common lime, silver lime) and bounded on the north side by the original Berkhamsted School building of 1541-4. A yew tree, probably about 350 years old, stands within the churchyard by the junction of the High Street with Castle St.

 

 

 

 

 

 

St. Peter and Paul, Little Gaddesden, Herts HP4 1NZ

The earliest written reference to the church is to be found in a document dated 1161, signed by Thomas a’Becket, who lived in Berkhamsted castle at that time. The main body of the church was built between 1370 and 1450 although the tower is probably of a little earlier date. It has undergone many changes since then, being extended in 1812, restored and re-modelled in 1876, extended again in 1964 and underwent major repairs in 1991.

Grade: I
Date Listed: 30 November 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 157710

OS Grid Reference: SP9978813820
OS Grid Coordinates: 499788, 213820
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8141, -0.553

 

Photographs by Daniel and Thelma

P5283137 P5283133 P5283138 P5283136 P5283139

P5283128IMG_1598

 

IMG_1599IMG_1595 IMG_1592IMG_1599 IMG_1595 IMG_1594 IMG_1605 IMG_1604

 

IMG_1601IMG_1600

Save

Save

St Mary’s Hemel Hempstead

St Mary’s Church, Hemel Hempstead is the parish church of the town and its oldest place of worship.

Its construction was commenced in 1140 and was dedicated in 1150 although construction continued for another 30 years.

Old Town

It is cruciform in shape, with chancel, the first part to be built, nave south and north transepts, and a tower. A spire, one of the tallest in Europe was added in the 14th century with a total height of 200 feet. It is topped by a gilded weather vane. The church is built from the local clunch stone and flint with some addition of Roman bricks. The architecture is Norman throughout apart from porches added in the 14th and 15th centuries. A 19th century vestry was added on the north east corner.

In 1302 a cell to Ashridge Priory was founded in Hemel Hempstead and the church had collegiate status until the Dissolution of the monasteries in 1536. A door at the base of the tower allowed the monks access to the church and avoided them mixing with the townspeople.

It is not known why such a grand church was constructed in what at the time was a small hamlet.

The font is original Norman, although surrounded by 19th century decoration. Photo By Daniel taken from Elbows on the Table coffee shop (it does excellent sandwiches and salads). – http://www.elbowsoffthetable.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/Elbows-Off-The-Table-1640311589578109/