The Diocese of Sarlat was created in 1317 with a number of others in the region in the aftermath of the suppression of the Albigensians. The new bishop of Sarlat was the abbot of the ancient Sarlat Abbey, the church of which became the cathedral. Rebuilding was not completed until the 1680s. (The belfry dates from the 9th century). The diocese was abolished under the Concordat of 1801 and its territory was transferred to the Diocese of Périgueux.
Although reusing some parts of the Romanesque abbey old, the overall style of the cathedral is Gothic inspiration Nordic (presence of two collateral vessels).The Romanesque bell tower from the 12th century is the oldest part of the building, he succeeded a Carolingian building and underwent changes: the top floor 17th century and 18th century belfry bulbous. The swallow’s nest organ is the work of Jean-François The Thorn. Photos by Daniel 6 July 2016.